With a bike lease you get an (electric) bike with a full service
package. The standard period for leasing a bicycle is 36 months. At Joule you can pick a leasingterm of 12, 24, 36 or 48 months. The
package includes annual maintenance, damage and theft insurance and
roadside assistance. You pay a monthly fee for this.
The organization purchases bicycles, or intervenes in a group purchase for the staff. You can also choose a maintenance contract.
With bicycle leasing, you rent the bicycle. Joule remains the owner of
your bike. With a purchase, on the other hand, you fully own the bike.
Unfortunately, no. A bicycle lease through Joule is only possible for
companies, self-employed people or government organizations.
Lets summarize the many benefits:
- Financial: a company bicycle is 40% cheaper than buying one yourself. As a self-employed person or employer, a bicycle is 100% tax deductible. As an employee, you don't pay any withholding tax or benefit in kind and you get a bicycle allowance on top of that.
- Functional: no more traffic jams and stress! With an (electric) bike you save time and can efficiently cover long distances to work.
- Healthy: biking regularly to work is good for your (mental) health.
- Ecological: if you choose a company bicycle, you help reduce CO2 emissions. So it's good for you and the planet.
- Leasing a bicycle through your company is about 40% cheaper than buying one and at no extra cost to the employer. You pay for your lease bike on your gross salary, which means you end up paying less social security, employer contributions and taxes. Moreover, the cost is spread over a period of 12, 24, 36 or 48 months.
- When you lease a bike from Joule, you can jump on your bike carefree.Your bicycle package includes annual maintenance, damage and theft insurance and a subscription to breakdown assistance. You can also choose how you want your bike repaired: at home or at a bike store nearby.
No. At Joule, every company is welcome, regardless of the number of
employees. Even self-employed people without employees can come to us.
Joule is a cycling partner for companies, independent workers and
governments. Our mission is to get as many people as possible on their
bikes. We take charge of the entire process of your bike plan, from
concept to maintenance. We distribute more than 30 brands and have our
own mechanics who deliver, maintain and repair the bikes. Minimum effort
for maximum biking fun!
If you regularly bike to work, the cost of the bike lease is exempt from
social security contributions and tax. For the employer, no employer
contributions are added to the bicycle leasing benefit.
In a salary swap, the cost of the bicycle lease is passed on via your salary. Depending on the applicable collective labor agreement, this can be done through one or more gross salary components (e.g. gross salary, end-of-year bonus or bonus). Since bicycle leasing is exempt from employer contributions, a budget is first made of the total wage cost including employer contributions. The cost of the bicycle lease is deducted from that budget.
- As a result, the net impact on your salary can be up to 40% less than the effective cost of the bicycle.
- Practical example for a bicycle lease of €100/month including VAT .
Bike lease €100/month incl. VAT
Without bike leasing
With bike leasing
New gross wage cost
NSSO contribution employer
NSSO employee contribution
Net impact bicycle leasing/month
€48.91 per month
Total net cost of bicycle leasing
Attention! The (para)fiscal benefits only apply if you use the bicycle regularly for commuting.
In some sectors, salary exchange is not possible (see next question).
The possibility of salary exchange is limited in a number of ways. On
the one hand, the remaining gross salary may never fall below the
sectoral gross salary. On the other hand, there are many collective
agreements that exclude the exchange of certain gross salary components
for another benefit (such as a bicycle). For more information, please
consult your social secretariat. The lease cost can always be deducted
from your net salary by mutual agreement, but there are no (para)fiscal
advantages attached to this. Your employer can also choose to offer the
bicycle lease for free.
The benefit of bike leasing depends on a few factors, including the tax
rate. This depends, among other things, on your marital status, the
number of dependent children, etc. For a correct calculation of the net
cost of bicycle leasing, it is best to consult your personnel
department. For a rough estimate you can always consult our calculator.
Yes, you can, unless the salary would fall so below baremalone, or if
this is excluded in a sectoral collective agreement. The calculation is
similar to the calculation of the gross salary.
The bicycle allowance is an expense allowance for employees for the commuting distance covered by bicycle. This allowance is exempt from taxes and social security contributions up to 0.25€ per kilometer. You then receive an allowance per kilometer traveled by bicycle. The bicycle allowance can be cumulated with the benefit of the lease bicycle.
The reimbursement applies only to travel from home to work and not to professional travel. Professional travel is regarded as a cost for the employer. The employee and employer mutually determine which is the best and safest route.
There is no general obligation for employers, but there is an obligation in certain sectors. For example, in PC200 (white-collar workers) there is a minimum bicycle allowance of 10 cents per kilometer.
There is no benefit in kind and therefore no tax if the bicycle is used
regularly for commuting. Your employer will, however, request a
statement in honor that you agree to use the bicycle regularly for
There is no legal framework but the NSSO and tax authorities generally accept 20% of commuting as a minimum.
This is possible provided you take your bike to work on a regular basis.
Your employer will determine what the options are, but there are usually three options:
- you buy the bike at the market value at the time;
- you return the bicycle and pay an administrative fee;
- you pass the bicycle to a colleague.
You can check out our entire collection on our (online) shop. In
addition, we will visit you at work for test days or you can test the
bike. Do you have questions about the bicycle? Chat with one of our
employees, book a consultation session via the website or send us an
In addition to the wide range of products offered by Joule (be sure to check out our product site), you can visit the Lucien stores or the Canyon Experience Stores.
At Joule you can lease ànd purchase bikes. If an employer buys a bike
for his employee and the employee uses the bike regularly to commute,
the same (para)fiscal benefits apply.
At Joule, you can choose between two maintenance packages for leased bikes:
- Mobile: the Joule mechanic comes to the workplace or your home for delivery, maintenance and repairs
- Pick-up: You pick up your bike from your Lucien dealer or a local Canyon Experience Store and visit them for maintenance and repairs
You can choose between more than 1,500 bikes. Be sure to check out our full range on or online shop. You will find these brands and many others: Gazelle, Koga, Oxford, Batavus, QWIC, Larry vs. Harry (Bullit), Urban Arrow Cargo, Tern, Achielle, Canyon, Cowboy, Takashi, Dahon, Velo de Ville, Venturelli, Carla cargo,...
Tip: Keep an eye on our website. Starting in 2023, a new shopping portal will be coming.
Our mechanics visit you at work or at home for delivery, maintenance or repairs. During the maintenance you can continue to work in peace. Our mechanics ensure that your bike rides smoothly again.
For an urgent repair we try to come by within 2 working days. If the repair is not urgent (the bike is still running), we will come by within 2 weeks.
Yes, our mobile teams travel around the country to repair your leased bike at your place of work. Joule not only has its own technical team but also a partner network of approved freelancers who come by for urgent repairs. The partner network meets the Joule quality standards and has the knowledge and spare parts to keep your bike in optimal condition.
Pick-up services involve stopping by your local Lucien store and/or
Canyon Experience store and requesting a quote for your favorite bike
Annual maintenance, comprehensive damage and theft insurance, a breakdown service subscription and a repair service.
With damage and theft insurance you are covered in case of damage due to vandalism, a fall, a collision, and (attempted) theft. If the insurance file is approved, only an insurance excess will be charged. Check whether you have an AG Insurance or AEDES package.
The annual maintenance of a bike will result in fewer problems, and therefore fewer repairs. Maintenance involves the performance of services with the goal of preventing wear and tear and repairs:
- lighting inspection and repair;
- greasing the chain;
- tire pressure check;
- retightening of all bolts;
- gear adjustment;
- check headstock play;
- software update;
- adjusting brakes and replacing brake pads;
- treat contact points.
If you have a breakdown on the road (even a flat tire) you can call for roadside assistance. This also applies in case of (attempted) theft or an accident . You benefit from assistance:
- anywhere in Belgium and up to 30 kilometers beyond the country's borders;
- up to three times a year;
- at least 1 kilometer from your home address.
For bikes resulting from contracts entered into as of April 1, 2022, a repair service is included (unless your employer opted for the repair voucher system). These are interventions exclusive to annual maintenance or an insurance case following damage or theft. For example, a flat tire or a loose fender.
- Mobile: you are entitled to 3 recovery interventions per year.
- Pick-Up: you are entitled to a credit of €100 per year.
You can reach Joule at +3250892689. The line is available every working day from 09h00-18h00. The breakdown service is available 24/7. We will put you through via these shortcuts:
- General questions about bike leasing and purchasing.
- Joule operations: for information on repairs and maintenance.
- Breakdown assistance (have your policy number handy).
- Other questions or comments.
The agreements are established in the so called bicycle policy between your employer and employee. Usually there are 3 options:
- The employee can purchase the bicycle for its market value at that time.
- The employee may return the bicycle upon payment of an administrative fee.
- The employee can pass the bicycle to a colleague.
At the end of the lease period, Joule will pick up the bicycle. Optionally, the cyclist can purchase the bike at market price.
Battery range depends on three crucial elements:
- Bike battery capacity: 400Wh, 500Wh, 630Wh or 1000Wh.
- Usage of battery: do you ride in eco or turbo mode?
- The weather conditions: in colder weather, the battery will not last as long.
Make sure to always put the battery inside when freezing!
A belt drive is a drive in which the chain is replaced by a plastic
belt. The belt runs over two sprockets and is made of a strong
stretch-resistant carbon fiber.
There are some important tips to keep your bike's battery in top condition. We list them for you in this blog article.
Joule has a wide range of cargo bikes. From small cargo bikes for small businesses to the powerhouses that can carry up to 200kg. Discover the full cargo range here.